Wednesday, March 6, 2019

LTA KPOP 2 EP 3: Top 25 SBS Dramas

Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS) is a national South Korean television and radio network company. The current logo (above) was introduce on November 14, 2000; after its 10th anniversary celebrations. SBS has not only given us, the viewers, amazing variety show programs but they have also given us amazing and excellent dramas over the past years. 

In this list, I am naming my top twenty-five dramas aired on SBS over the years. I look up all the dramas aired on SBS through their Wikipedia page and check off the ones I have watched. From that list, I pick my favorites and it was hard because there were a good amount of dramas I have seen from SBS. 



(Picture: Found on SBS Wikipedia page)
So, let's go ahead and get started. 

At 25, I put Legend of the Blue Sea. 

Legend of the Blue Sea starred Jun Ji Hyun and Lee Min Ho. This drama aired from November 16, 2016 to January 25, 2017. This drama tells a love story of a con-artist and a mermaid who travels across the ocean to find him. 

When I heard about this drama, I was excited but then as I was watching it, it was alright. There wasn't much for me. Honestly, I love Lee Min Ho and Jun Ji Hyun but together, I don't think the are a great match at all. Half way through the drama I actually skip a lot but due to the popularity of this drama, I mean seriously, majority of mine friends were obsessed with it, I rank it at number twenty-five. 




At number 24, I have My Love from the Star. 

My Love from the Star (You Who Came from the Stars) is a romantic fantasy story about an alien who landed on Earth in the Joseon Dynasty and 400 years later, falls in love with a top actress in the modern era. This drama aired from December 18, 2013 to February 27, 2014 and stars Jun Ji Hyun, Kim Soo Hyun, Park Hae Jin and Yoo In Na. 

Another Jun Ji Hyun's drama on the list. This drama was a major hit in South Korea and received immense popularity across Asia. I mean it was the talk of the town or among drama viewers. I was surprise that this drama was a hit. I didn't expect it to be at all. Honestly, the only reason why this drama is on the list is because of the popularity it receive. This was an okay drama for me. I watch it and there was some part I like and dislike. But to say, this was still a very good drama and they won the 'Grand Prize' or Daesang at the Baeksang Arts Awards and SBS Drama Awards.

At number 23, I have My Girlfriend is a Nine Tailed Fox. 

My Girlfriend is a Nine Tailed Fox (Gumiho) starred Lee Seung Gi and Shin Min Ah. This drama aired from August 11 to September 30, 2010. 

This is my very first Lee Seung Gi and second Shin Min Ah drama. I knew about Lee Seung Gi as an artist but have never watch him act before. This is an eye opening to both their acting careers for me. After watching this drama I went back to find more Lee Seung Gi and Shin Min Ah dramas. I didn't watch this drama when it first came out, I actually watch this drama at the end of 2011 so I was late to the scene but I really like it.






At number 22, I have That Winter, the Wind Blows. 

That Winter, the Wind Blows aired from February 13 to April 3, 2013. This series starred Song Hye Kyo and Jo In Sung and based on a Japanese drama I Don't Need Love, Summer that aired in 2002 and previously adapted into the Korean film Love Me Not. This series is a man and a blind woman, who don't believe in love. 

This series was the comeback series for both Jo In Sung and Song Hye Kyo. I was super excited for this drama and at the end of the drama I was okay. I hated some parts and I loved some parts. I was all over the place with this drama, but the reason why this drama is here is because of Kim Bum and Jung Eun Ji.




At number 21, I have Secret Garden. 

Secret Garden starred Ha Ji Won and Hyun Bin and aired from November 13, 2010 to January 16, 2011. Its a rationalizing Cinderella story between a stunt-woman and a high-end department store CEO. The story gets more complicated and dramatic when they both magically start switching bodies. 

I think this is the start of Hyun Bin's popularity. I seriously remember everyone at that time talking about this drama. My friends would talk about this drama nonstop during lunch and how I should watch it. I didn't watch this drama until 2012. This drama was a huge hit.






At number 20, I have Birth of a Beauty. 

Birth of a Beauty aired in November 2014 to January 2015 starring Joo Sang Wook, Han Ye Seul, Jung Gyu Woon and Wang Ji Hye. It's about a wife whose husband had an affair and in-law doesn't welcome her into their family after seven years of marriage. She got hit by a car and crashed off a cliff and everyone assume her to dead but she comes back after weight loss and surgery with a beautiful body and revenge.

I only started watching this drama after the four main lead appear on Running Man. This was a really great drama for revenge because they finally got what they deserve at the end of the drama.





At number 19, I have Late Night Restaurant.


Late Night Restaurant is a drama based on the manga Shinya Shokudo airing from July 4 to September 5, 2015. Its about a restaurant that opens at midnight until seven in the morning. Its mysterious owner and chef, simply called the 'Master' has no fixed items on his menu, but will take orders from any customer and cook up whatever they ask for. As the Master cooks, his customers tell him their life stories.

A lot of people skip this drama because it doesn't focused on one story line and it doesn't go anywhere at all. I think this is a great drama if you want something different and new. This is a great drama for those who wants to watch this while doing homework and study, because that what I did. I mean I study while watching this drama because I can, but if you can't you don't have too. Each episode tells a different character in the drama  their story. At the end of the drama, I wanted more because the story doesn't finish there but lingers on and on. 

At number 18, I have The Master's Sun.

The Master's Sun is a 2013 drama starring So Ji Sub and Gong Hyo Jin in a horror-romantic comedy series aired from August 7 to October 3, 2013. It's about a cold and distant CEO of Kingdom, a conglomerate that includes a major department store and hotel. He meets the gloomy Tae Gong Shil, who started seeing ghosts after an accident.

I didn't want to watch this drama because I don't like any horror drama at all but I only watch this because of the two main lead. This is a really good drama, and I would recommend this to anyone.






At number 17, I have Doctor Stranger.

Doctor Stranger is a 2014 drama starring Lee Jong Suk, Jin Se Yeon, Park Hae Jin, and Kang So Ra. As a child, Park Hoon and his father were tricked and sent to North Korea. Park Hoon is trained to become a doctor by his father and became a genuis cardiothoracic surgeon after attending medical school in North Korea. After his father died, he tried to flee to South Korea with Jae Hee, the girl he fell in love with but lost contact with at the end. In South Korea, Hoon begins to work as a doctor in a top hospital where he found a girl that looks exactly like Jae Hee, who claims not to know him.

I was super excited about this drama because of Lee Jong Suk and Kang So Ra. Honestly, I really wished that Kang So Ra was the main lead but turns out it was actually Jin Se Yeon instead. The story line made my heart and eyes cry because it was just so sad to see the story progress and also discover the truth and past too.



At number 16, I have My Girl.

My Girl is a 2005 drama starring Lee Da Hae, Lee Dong Wook, Lee Joon Gi and Park Si Yeon. This drama skyrocket them into the Korean Wave stardom. This story is about Joo Yoo Rin who needs to pay off her father debt therefore was employed by Seol Gong Chan to become his grandfather long lost granddaughter.

This is the very first Korean drama that I watch in my teenage years after understanding the different between the different Asian dramas. It was also the drama that I love and was really into because they male actors were so handsome, Lee Joon Gi and Lee Dong Wook. ^^





At number 15, I have High Society.

High Society starred Uee, Sung Joon, Park Hyung Sik, and Lim Ji Yeon is this 2015 release drama. Jang Yoon Ha is the youngest daughter of a chaebol family and despite her wealth, she works part-time at a food market and hides her true identity as an heiress because all she truly wants is to find a man who'll love her for herself and not her money. Choi Joon Ki grew up in extreme poverty and has a huge chip on his shoulder about his poor parents. Now working as a middle manager for a conglomerate, Joon Ki is smart and talented but also jaded and calculating, believing that love is a luxury only for the wealthy.

I didn't want to watch this because I knew it was going to be about the rich and the poor. These drama usually have a lot of political side to the drama along with rich hating the poor. The usually about rich and poor dramas. But as I was watching this drama, I didn't care about the main couple, I was curious and care more about Park Hyung Sik and Lim Ji Yeon's couple. I'm pretty sure many of us were too.

At number 14, I have City Hunter.


City Hunter is a 2011 drama based on the Japanese manga series of the same name. This drama starred Lee Min Ho, Park Min Young, Lee Joon Hyuk, Kim Sang Joong, Kim Sang Ho, Hwang Sun Hee, Goo Ha Ra, Chun Ho Jin and Lee Kwang Soo.

This is my type of drama interest but I only came to watch this drama because of my brother. He have seen this drama over ten times and that mean a lot for him. Every time he watches I would watch it with him so over the last ten times he have watch it, I have finish it by watching clips and scenes over and over again. The only part I don't understand is the beginning and because I already seen the middle and ending so many times, the beginning doesn't interest me at all because I already know what is going to happen. 

At number 13, I have I Can Hear Your Voice.

I Can Hear Your Voice is a 2013 release drama starring Lee Bo Young, Lee Jong Suk, Yoon Sang Hyun and Lee Da Hee. This drama is about Jang Hye sung becoming a lawyer after overcoming poverty and a difficult childhood. She encounters Park Soo Ha, a high school senior with supernatural ability to read other people's thoughts by looking into their eyes.

This drama is one of the drama that I don't remember as much as others. I remembers some of the popular scenes but I haven't gone back to re-watch this drama since finishing it. If you like mystery and fantasy, I think this would be the drama for you.






At number 12, I have Entertainer.

Entertainer is a 2016 release drama starring Ji Sung, Lee Hye Ri, Kang Min Hyuk and Chae Jung An. Shin Suk Ho is a successful manager who works for KTOP entertainment. After deciding to become independent and trying to develop his own company, Mango Entertainment, he suddenly faces many hardships and loses everything he has and goes to prison. After his release, he finds a talented high school student, Jo Ha Neul and decides to turn him into a famous singer. He soon realizes that Ha Neul is an ex-convict and was accused for sexual abuse by his friend, Lee Ji young. Shin Suk Ho form the group 'Entertainer Band' with Ha Neul and tried to put things in their right place with tht help of band members, his loyal friends and Jung Geu Rin, Ha Neul's hard-working sister.

I started watching this drama because of Lee Hye Ri and Kang Min Hyuk. But as I was watching this drama and discover that the main male lead is actually Ji Sung, since he the pairing to Lee Hye Ri but I discover that I really like Ji Sung. I actually never dislike him but I wasn't a huge fan of him. I have seen his work but this drama overall was something heart warming and I was crying my eyes out in some of the scenes.

At number 11, I have Rooftop Prince.

Rooftop Prince is a 2012 fantasy romantic comedy television drama starring Park Yoo Chun, Han Ji Min, Jeong Yu Mi, Lee Tae Sung, Lee Min Ho, Jung Suk Won and Choi Woo Shik. It's about a Joseon crown prince who, after his wife dies mysteriously, time travels to the future where he encounters familiar faces, modern-day devices and corporate intrigue.

I don't really watch historic drama nor do I really like a lot of fantasy either but together, this drama was a really fun drama. This drama was very simple but also very surprisingly too. I think half way through the drama, I turn to really like this drama because it was totally different then what I thought. Overall, this drama is very fun to watch and I would recommend this for anyone.



At number 10, I have A Gentleman's Dignity.


A Gentleman's Dignity is a 2012 romantic comedy television series starring Jang Dong Gun, Kim Ha Neul, Kim Su Ro, Kim Min Jong, and Lee Jong Hyuk. This story is about the careers and love lives of urban professionals. It tells the story of four men in their forties who have been friends since they were eighteen and they go through love, breakup, success and failure.

I love this drama. It such a funny drama with hilarious scenes from all four male leads. The love line between Jang Dong Guk and Kim Ha Neul is exciting because they constantly run into obstacles. This drama also starred Kim Woo Bin and Lee Jong Hyun of CNBLUE. 

At number 9, I have The Heirs.

The Heirs is also known as The Inheritors starring Lee Min Ho, Park Shin Hye and Kim Woo Bin. This drama is set in a high school populated by the privileged and uber-rich. This series follows a group of rich, privileged high school students as they are about to take over their families' business empires, overcoming difficulties and growing every step of the way.

This was the biggest drama of the year, everyone was talking about this drama when it came out and I seriously was excited about it because of Lee Min Ho, Park Shin Hye and Kim Woo Bin. In case you didn't know, during this time period, Lee Min Ho was at the peak of her career. This drama was a hit and miss for me. I like and dislike this drama. The story line wasn't all that. At the end of the drama, I was disappointed.



At number 8, I have Doctors.

Doctors is a 2016 medical drama starring Kim Rae Won and Park Shin Hye. Yoo Hye Jung is a headstrong girl in high school with a prickly, gangster personality. Due to her many childhood scars, Hye Jung keeps her heart closed towards other people. However, she changes after meeting her mentor, Hong Ji Hong, who plays a key role in transforming her life from a 'hopeless' delinquent to a compassionate doctor. They part ways subsequently but meet again after 13 years, when Yoo Hye Jung becomes a doctor.

This drama is amazing. The beginning already caught so many people eyes with Park Shin Hye's fighting scene. This drama took a turn the moment we go back to the past and get to see how Park Shin Hye's past in high school. A turn, in a good way, because without the past, we will never understand the relationship between everyone.


At number 7, I have You're Beautiful.

You're Beautiful is a 2009 television series starring Jang Keun Suk, Park Shin Hye, Jung Yong Hwa, and Lee Hong Gi. This series follows fictional musician band, ANJELL and how the relationship between its members changes when a girl posing as her twin brothers joins the band.

This drama came out during the time of Boys Over Flowers therefore, you were either in love with one or the other, but I came to watch this drama a year after it came out after finding out that CNBLUE Jung Yong Hwa starred in this drama. I wasn't a huge fan at the beginning but after awhile, I started to fall in love with Jang Keun Suk. This is the drama that started my love for Park Shin Hye, hence the last couple of dramas starred Park Shin Hye.



At number 6, I have My Lovely Girl.

My Lovely Girl is a 2014 drama starring Jung Ji Hoon or Rain, Krystal Jung, Kim Myung Soo, and Cha Ye Ryun. Having the KPOP industry as the backdrop, the drama tells the story of two pained individuals who find healing through music.

I was super excited about this drama because it was Krystal first drama as the female lead. The story line of this drama was amazing. It was sad to see Krystal past which affect her current situation with Rain. Overall the drama is amazing. The music that we get from this drama is amazing too. Let's not forget Kim Myung Soo in this drama too. This drama not only starred Kim Myung Soo of Infinite but some of the Infinite members appear in this drama too. Along with other KPOP idols but Kim Myung Soo is giving me the second lead syndrome.



At number 5, I have Still 17.

Still 17 or Thirty But Seventeen is a drama starring Shin Hye Sun, Yang Se Jong and Ahn Hyo Seop. Gong Woo Jin is a 30-year-old single man who works as a set designer. Due to a trauma he experience 13 years ago, he does not want to have a relationship with others. When Woo Seo Ri was 17, she fell into a coma. Thirteen years later, she wakes up form her coma. Her mental age is still a 17-year-old, but she is not 30-year-old. Woo Jin and Seo Ri get involved with each other and fall in love.

This drama is one the drama that I wanted to watch and was super excited but at the end of the drama I wasn't amaze at all. Usually when I'm super excited, it disappoint me sometimes and the other time, I end up really liking the drama. This drama was exciting for me because I love Shin Hye Sun and to see her acting as the main lead in this drama got me excited. The reason why I wasn't as that amaze at the end was because I could picture and see what was going to happen next. Don't get me wrong, the story line is amazing and great but I could predict what was going to happen already. The reason why this drama is at number five is because, even though, I could predict what happen, the story is sweet.

At number 4, I have It's Okay, That's Love.


It's Okay, That's Love is a 2014 drama starring Jo In Sung, Gong Hyo Jin, Sung Dong Il, Lee Kwang Soo, and Do Kyung Soo. This story is about Jang Jae Yeol, an author of bestselling mystery novels and a radio DJ. Playful and a bit arrogant, he also suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder. Ji Hae Soo is a psychiatrist on her first year of fellowship. Driven and ambitious with her career yet compassionate towards her patients, Hae Soo has a negative attitude towards love and relationships in her personal life. Once Jae Yeol and Hae Soo meet, there is much contention between them caused by their strong personalities and refusal to give in to each other. But slowly their bickering turns into love and they begin to learn how compatible they are.

The only reason I watch this drama was because of Do Kyung Soo, honestly. As the story begins and the drama start coming, it was amazing. I didn't want this drama to end. I personally never been a huge fan of Gong Hyo Jin, but after this drama, I have to say that I'm now a huge fan of hers. I have seen a couple of drama starring Gong Hyo Jin, but she has never made me love her as much as this drama did. The journey between both of them, Hyo Jin and In Sung, in this drama is hilarious and sweet.

At number 3, I have A Girl Who Sees Smells.

A Girl Who Sees Smells is a 2015 drama adapted from the KTOON webtoon of the same title. The early working title was Sensory Couple before going back to the original title. This drama starred Park Yoo Chun, Shin Se Kyung, Namgoong Min and Yoon Jin Seo. This drama is about Oh Cho Rim and Choi Moo Gak working together to discover the truth of the 'barcode' serial killer.

I originally thought this drama was about the main lead seeing smells and nothing more about it. When the first episodes aired, I was shock because it took a different route but at the end of the drama, I was amaze and turn out to really like this drama. I was super excited and was always guessing what was going to happen along with guessing who the murder were. HINT and SPOILER, the murder is always someone closer to you. In cast you don't watch enough drama and television.


At number 2, I have Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo.

Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo is a drama based on the Chinese novel Bu Bu Jing Xin. This drama starred Lee Joon Gi, Lee Ji Eun or IU and Kim Ha Neul. During a total solar eclipse, a 25-year-old 21st-century woman, Go Ha Jin, is transported back in time to the Goryeo Dynasty. She wakes up in the year of 941 in the bod of Hae Soo, among the many royal princes of the ruling Wang family. She initially falls in love with the gentle and warm-heart 8th Prince Wang Wook and later Wang So, the fearsome 4th Prince who hides his face behind a mask and given the derogatory label of 'wolf dog.' As the story develops, Hae Soo finds herself unwittingly caught between the rivalry and politics among the princes over the fight for the throne.

This drama although wasn't that successful in Korea was super successful internationally. I mean all my family members were watching and every time a new episode come out, we would watch it. It was like a game to see who would be the first to finish the episode that was airing. That person would be me. Every time we meet, we would always talk about it and texting each other constantly wasn't enough, it was to the point where we have to meet each other every week to talk about this drama. We even got other people to join this conversation. Overall, this drama is long and the drama keep happening non-stop, it a new drama after another, but at the end of the drama it left us with an open end that doesn't give us closer at all. Now I stated this since the end of this drama is that I really want a second season of this drama because there is so much that can happen.

At number 1, I have Pinocchio.

Pinocchio is a 2014 to 2015 release drama starring Lee Jong Suk, Park Shin Hye, Kim Young Hwang and Lee Yu Bi. Ki Ha Myeong grew up in a family with his firefighter father, mother and older brother. Ki Ha Myeong and his older brother both possess higher than normal intellect and are proud of their father. A fire at a waste facility though destroys his family. His mother dies a short time later and Ha Myeong ends up being scooped out of the ocean by an unknown man. The unknown man who save him was Choi In Ha's grandfather. In Ha's grandfather believes Ha Myeong is his eldest son Choi Dal Po, who died 30 years ago. He then adopt Ha Myeong and change his name to Choi Dal Po. In Ha and Dal Po now live together as uncle and niece, although they are in the same  age range. In Ha has a Pinocchio syndrome, where whenever she lies she gets the hiccups. In Ha and Dal Po get along until Dal Po learns that In Ha's mother is the reporter that covered the waste facility fire that destroyed his family. He try to distant himself from In Ha, but he also develops feelings for her. Years later, they move to Seoul and In Ha attempts to become a reporter like her mother. In Ha meets her mother for the first time in years at a job interview for MSC Broadcasting Station. Her mother is the person giving her the job interview. In Ha though fails the job interview because her mother rejects her because of her Pinocchio syndrome. Dal Po is now driving a taxi to support their family and Dal Po, one day meets In Ha's mother and decides to become a reporter.

Can we just talk about the couple and pairing between Lee Jong Suk and Park Shin Hye. I love this couple, I think they are so cute together and they make this drama better. The story line of this drama is the best of the best. Each part plays an important role to the future of the story line and the characters. This drama is still a favorite and their are so many scenes in this drama that are my favorite.

Here are some special honor mentions that I wants to added on this list but couldn't.

Stairway to Heaven | Hymn of Death


(All summary and information credit to Wikipedia and Image credit to mydramalist.com)

I'll try to write more and have them ready but writing them is a lot of work so I'm trying to work as fast as possible that I can. I been working and any free time, if I'm not resting, I'm typing so keep reading and checking. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment