Tuesday, June 18, 2019

LTA KPOP 2 EP 4: Top 25 KBS Dramas

KBS or Korean Broadcasting System is the national public broadcaster in South Korea. It was founded in 1927, and operates radio, television, and online services, being one of the biggest South Korea television networks. 

(Image credit to Wikipedia)

This list would list my top KBS dramas. This list would most likely not included dramas that is airing or aired in 2019, because I wrote and created this list at the beginning of 2019. 

Let's go ahead and get started then this time, I'm starting at number 1 and not number 25, like I usually do. 


1. Descendants of the Sun

 Descendants of the Sun is a 2016 South Korean television series starring Song Joong Ki, Song Hye Kyo, Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won. This series was a major hit in Korea and gained popularity across Asia. It also won several awards like winning the Grand Prize in television at the 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards and Most Popular Show of the year by Korea Broadcasting Advertising Corporation. 

We can't not talk about this drama if we are talking about KBS dramas because this was a major hit for everyone. Everyone talk about it, everyone fell in love with Song Joong Ki. Everyone love this drama. This was and is the drama to watch for everyone. This is one of my top pick for drama to watch for new viewers. 

2. Who Are You: School 2015

Who Are You: School 2015 starred Kim So Hyun, Yook Sung Jae and Nam Joo Hyuk in the sixth installment of the 'School' series which premiered in 1999. Kim So Hyun played twin sisters separated after one was adopted. 

This is my favorite of the school of the three school drama installment I have seen. The reason why they aren't put together in one group to give other drama a chance is because they all have different story line that deals with school. Compare to the three I have seen, this installment was fun to watch. I keep wanting to watch it after and after. It was interesting and left my trying to figure out the truth and what happen. Of course, the bully, to see if it will make us feel good when Kim So Hyun's character going to step up and fight. 

3. Boys Over Flowers

Boys Over Flowers is a 2009 drama based on the Japanese manga series Boys Over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango). This drama starred Ku Hye Sun, Lee Min Ho, Kim Hyun Joon, Kim Bum, Kim Joon, and Kim So Eun. This series is about an average girl who gets tangled up in the lives of an arrogant rich boy and his friends. This drama earned a high viewership ratings in South Korea and popularity throughout Asia. 

I feel that any Korean drama lover or viewers who have not see this drama isn't a huge Korean drama fan at all because I feel like this drama was so popular that this should of been one of the drama they have at least know or seen before. For anyone who just started, watch this drama. This drama is the drama that skyrocketed Lee Min Ho into fame. I mean all the other main actors and actresses were popular too but the amount of success that Lee Min Ho gain after this drama is way much more than everyone. 

4. Autumn In My Heart

Autumn in My Heart is also known as Autumn Fairy Tale or Autumn Tale. This is a 2000 romantic drama starring Song Seung Heon, Song Hye Kyo and Won Bin. This series is the first installment of the season-themed tetra-logy Endless Love drama series. The series was very successful and considered a pioneer in Korean melodramatic series, launching a fever that is commonly referred to as the 'Korean Wave.' 

This drama is one of my favorite dramas growing up. All the Hmong kids my age should at least know this drama by the Hmong dub names of the main leads because it was such a huge hit. This drama is a tearful and heart-warm drama. I always cry whenever I watch this drama but I especially love the OST and the beginning part of the drama.

5. Wang's Family

Wang's Family is a 2013 drama starring Oh Hyun Kyung, Jo Sung Ha, Lee Tae Ran, Oh Man Seok, Lee Yoon Ji, and Han Joo Wan. The Wang's family must face a number of challenges in Korean society, such as elitism, discrimination, the power dynamics between husband and wife and between parent and child, and the decision when to marry and have a child along with marriage and education.

This is such a great drama although it may be long with 50 episodes that story of the three sisters play out amazing and each plot gets better with episodes. I would of love to see more of the younger siblings in this series. Truly a great hit of 2013 for this family drama. The whole entire cast is amazing and I wanted more from this series. I would love a second season with the younger siblings but the ending already ended that thought, unless the second series would tell us what happen between the present to the future (or ending scene).




6. Five Enough

Five Enough is a 2016 drama starring Ahn Jae Wook, So Yoo Jin, Shim Hyung Tak, Shim Yi young, Im Soo Hyang, Shin Hye Sun, Sung Hoon and Ahn Woo Yeon. This story is about Lee Sang Tae, a widower who has raised two children with the help of his overbearing in-laws, while Ahn Mi Jung was betrayed by her husband three years ago and as she cannot tell her three children and her grandmother, who depends solely on her, she pretends he is working overseas. One day, they meet and fall in love with each other, but their relationship is not well received.

This is another great long drama with 54 episodes. The reason why this drama was a great hit was because of the other couple in this drama play by Shin Hye Sun and Sung Hoon. Im Soo Hyang and Ahn Woo Yeon couple played a great role but the success of Shin Hye Sun and Sung Hoon was amazing. They were great together and I would love them to play alongside each other again. This is a great drama talking about how people would look at couples who have more then two kids in the Korean culture. Honestly, I think the whole entire world, just because having a kid is so expensive already.

7. Fight for My Way

Fight for My Way is a 2017 drama starring Park Seo Joon, Kim Ji Won, Ahn Jae Hong and Song Ha Yoon. This drama follow the story about underdogs with big dreams and third-rate specs just struggling to survive and craving for success for the career they're under qualified for. The long time friendship blossoming into romance between two immature friends whose childish dynamic hasn't changed despite reaching adulthood.

Another hit drama that was extremely popular at the time of release. The most important part about this drama is that the aygeo of the characters are so adorable that makes you cringe. That is all. The chemistry between the two leading characters is amazing and you can see how much they care for each other despite being friends before the romance feelings develop more.

8. Cinderella's Sister

Cinderella's Sister is also known as Cinderella's Stepsister. This is a 2010 drama starring Moon Gyun Young, Chun Jung Myung, Seo Woo and Ok Taecyeon of 2PM. This drama is applying a modern twist to the classic fairy tale, the story follows the contentious relationship between two stepsisters as their lives and loves intertwine.

Although I love Moon Geun Young in Autumn Tale, I think this was were I rediscover her after growing up. I love this drama. I remember watching this drama nonstop over and over again, but eventually I stopped. The reason was because I wanted more between Moon Geun Young and Chun Jung Myung. Yes, this story is more about the two step sisters but still I need the love and romance between them more then the sisters. This is a great twist to the fairy tale and this is the start of my love for Chun Jung Myung. I already love Taecyeon already.





9. School 2013

School 2013 is a 2012 drama starring Jang Nara, Choi Daniel, Lee Jong Suk, Park Se Young, and Kim Woo Bin. The teen drama depicts the struggles and dilemmas that modern day Korean youth face, such as bullying, student suicides, school violence, deteriorating teacher-student relations, private tutoring and other real life high school issues, all within the confines of one small classroom.

This is the fifth installment to the KBS's School series and the very first drama that brought back the School series since it last aired in 2002. This is still a great drama and brings my love for Lee Jong Suk and Kim Woo Bin. I mean, bromance, come on!

10. Hwarang: The Poet Warrior Youth

Hwarang: The Poet Warrior Youth is a 2016 drama starring Park Seo Joon, Go A Ra and Park Hyung Sik. It evolves around an elite group of young men called 'Hwarang' who discover their passions, love and friendship in the turmoil of the Silla Kingdom.

Let start off with the OST. The OST for this drama was amazing and I love the OST to this drama very much. It such a great playlist. Now back to the drama, this drama had a great cast. Choi Min Ho of SHINEE and Kim Tae Hyung or V of BTS are part of the Hwarangs. They also include Do Ji Han and Jo Yoon Woo. The cast for the Hwarangs were amazing that all I can say. The story itself was a bit lacking but I love Do Ji Han and Lee Da In couple more then the leading couple.

11. Oh My Venus

Oh My Venus is a 2015 drama starring So Ji Sub, Shin Min A, Jung Gyu Woon, Yoo In Young, Sung Hoon, and Henry Lau. This story is about a personal trainer and a lawyer working together on her physical transformation. As the both discover their feelings and grew closer, they heal each other's emotional wounds and fall in love.

As I am sitting and writing this drama, I have no idea why this drama is this high on my list at all. I think there is more better drama then this one. Other then the fact that this cast is amazing and great, the relationship between them is more hilarious then romantic. I mean, I remember laughing more then having my eyes open wide and thinking about the romantic scenes. Also Sung Hoon and Henry plays a great reason, now that I'm thinking about, to the drama.

12. Summer Scent

Summer Scent is a 2003 drama starring Song Seung Heon, Son Ye Jin, Ryu Jin and Han Ji Hye. This series is the third installment of the season-themed tetralogy Endless Love drama series. After losing his first love in a car accident, Min Woo goes aboard to study. Hye Won receives a heart transplant which happen to be the first love of Min Woo. They meet each other and they became fond of each other. Not knowing if it was the heart of his first love or Hye Won's real feelings.

I remember this drama more for the scenery then the story line. I mean the love the story line and relationship between the characters but the scenery for this drama is so pretty. It makes me think, so I want to go there and see that place because it is so beautiful.

13. Good Doctor 

Good Doctor is a 2013 drama starring Joo Won, Moon Chae Won, Joo Sang Wook, Kim Min Seo, Chun Ho Jin, Kwak Do Won, and Ko Chang Seok. This story is about an autistic savant who was sent to a specialized care center as a child, where he was discovered to have a genius level memory and keen spatial skills.

This drama is amazing for Joo Won's acting skills. I mean he is an amazing actor and this is such a great drama for him. This was such a great success that there is an American version of this series.

14. School 2017

School 2017 is a 2017 drama starring Kim Se Jeong of gugudan, Kim Jung Hyun, Jang Dong Yoon, Han Sun Hwa and Han Joo Wan. This is the seventh installment to the School series. The plot follows a class of high school students attempting to overcome the stress of being ranked by their exam grades and facing the difficulties of being a teenager in a high pressure, corrupt system.

At the very beginning of this drama, I was disappointed because I didn't think it reach my expectations but as the story continue I was very happy and was satisfied. I was surprise for the acting skills of Kim Se Jeong because I thought there could of been a better actress for this role but this role match her amazing.

15. Love Rain

Love Rain is 2012 drama starring Jang Keun Suk and Im Yoon Ah playing dual roles. This story is set in the seventies and the present day, it tells a love story over two generations. Despite love viewership ratings in Korea, it was popular overseas and was the most expensive Korean drama presold to Japan in 2012.

The writer for this series also wrote Autumn in My Heart and Winter Sonata and the director for this series also directed the Endless Love series. By hearing this information I was already excited because I love those drama in that series but not only is that but I also love Im Yoon Ah and Jang Keun Suk too. I really like the drama taking place in two settings which I wasn't to fond at first. I'm also glad that they use Jang Keun Suk and Im Yoon Ah to play dual roles instead of switching to other actors. Not only was I excited but this was also a series that remind my of the Endless Love series and I think this can easily be part of it but under a different series like the weather series that deals with different weather and temperature like sun, lighting, or snow. That would be awesome but also very cringing.

16. The Producers

The Producers is a 2015 drama starring Cha Tae Hyun, Gong Hyo Jin, Kim Soo Hyun and IU. In the center of Yeouido in the KBS building, on its sixth floor are partitioned offices where employees work in the network's variety department, keeping hectic schedules of filming, editing and all night meetings.

Despite being only 12 episodes long, the story line is amazing, very cute and simple. This shows the behind the scenes to how the producers of show of our favorite Korean variety show is like and how celebrities are too.

17. You Are the Best!

You Are the Best! is also known as Lee Soon Shin is the Best. This is a 2013 drama starring IU, Jo Jung Suk, Go Doo Shim, Lee Mi Sook, Yoo In Na, Son Tae Young, Go Joo Won and Jung Woo. The drama is about a family, devastated after the sudden death of their father, that learns the true meaning of love and happiness. The show incorporates themes of self-discovery and reconciliation.

Fifty episode long, this drama is very slow. Honestly, I love this drama because of IU but this was such a slow drama I skip a lot of things. This is a great drama if you want a long drama that doesn't seem to stop until the end. This is also where I fell in love with Jo Jung Suk.

18. Wonderful Days

Wonderful Days is a 2014 drama starring Lee Seo Jin, Kim Hee Sun and Ok Taecyeon of 2PM. This drama tells the story of a prosecutor who returns to his hometown after 15 years and tried to reconnect with his long-estranged family and friends. Along with a nontraditional family full of challenges, up and downs, and life.

I actually only watch this drama because of Taecyeon and at the end I grew to really like this drama a lot. Yes, I hated a lot of things about the characters but they were played amazing and each other them add to the story more. I ended up liking Taecyeon and Lee Elijah couple more. Also the kids of Taecyeon are so adorable and they play such a great role between their father and teacher relationship. All the characters in this drama plays such an important role in the whole entire and honestly without one of the characters I feel like this drama wouldn't be as good as it is for me.





19. My Golden Life

My Golden Life is a 2017 drama starring Park Si Hoo, Shin Hye Sun, Lee Tae Hwan, and Seo Eun Soo. This revolves around a woman who has a chance to rise in status and a man who finds happiness in her.

I was very excited for this drama to aired because of Shin Hye Sun and as the drama release I was disappoint in to many aspect. There was not really a romantic relationship between the two leading characters and the story took forever to get anywhere. Don't waste your time on all 52 episodes. Actually do, because this is the comeback series for Park Si Hoo after the scandal of this awhile back. This is a great drama though.

20. Moorim School: Saga of the Brave

Moorim School: Saga of the Brave or just Moorim School is a 2016 drama starring Lee Hyun Woo, Lee Hong Bin, Seo Ye Ji and Jung Yoo Jin. The drama is set around the mysterious Moorim Institute which teaches its students virtues including honestly, faith, sacrifice and communication. The teachers and students at the school come from different countries and each have their own stories.

I honestly didn't think about anything when I first started watching this drama but I got really into this drama after the first ten minutes trying to figure out how the characters are related. This is a great drama with a little action. I really do wish there would be another season or series similar to this drama.

21. The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop

The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop or Gentlemen of the Laurel Tree Suit Tailor is a 2016 drama starring Lee Dong Gun, Jo Yoon Hee, Shin Goo, Cha In Pyo, Choi Won Young and Hyun Woo. This drama talks about men's love, success and family. Suits have always been the symbol for men and their class. What the characters from the drama have in common is that they all work for Wolgyesu Tailor Shop and they share their friendship as well as love at their workplace. This series served as Kim Young Ae's final work, as she died almost two months after the final episode.

This drama is 54 episode long but the story line for each character is amazing. I didn't know that I would like it as much as I thought until the end because of the cast different story line. The couple are just so cute together.

22. Ojakgyo Family

Ojakgyo Family or Ojakgyo Brothers is a 2011 drama starring Uee, Joo Won, Ryu Soo Young, Choi Jung Yoon, Jung Woong In, Yeon Woo Jin, Baek Il Seob and Kim Ja Ok. This drama is about a rich girl coming to the Ojakgyo farm and changes the family's live after losing her father at sea and her selfish stepmother leaving her.

This is the start of my love for Joo Won. The pairing of Joo Won and Uee are so cute and adorable. I would really like to see them pair up together in the future. This is a 58 episodes long and yes half way through I started skipping some parts that was taking forever. But at the end of the series, it is a cute story between the leading couple.

23. Father is Strange

 Father is Strange is a 2017 drama starring Kim Yeong Cheol, Kim Hae Sook, Ryu Soo Young, Lee Yoo Ri, Lee Joon, Jung So Min, Ryu Hwa Young and Ahn Hyo Seop. This is about a family that lives on the outskirts of Seoul which consists of the father, his wife, their three daughters and their one son. However, one day, a young man, who is a celebrity, shows up at the household claiming that he is the son of the family.

Due to the huge popularity, it was extended by two episodes making this series 52 episodes long. This was such a great drama. I honestly telling you that I finish all 52 episodes without skipping anything. The reason for this is because of the story. It was interesting and exciting, I keep wanting more after the episode ended. It was also fun and hilarious to watch the different scenes and interaction of the characters. This is a must watch drama for sure.

24. Sungkyunkwan Scandal

Sungkyunkwan Scandal is a 2010 historical drama starring Park Min Young, Park Yoo Chun, Yoo Ah In, and Song Joong Ki. This is based on Jung Eun Gwol's bestselling 2007 novel 'The Lives of Sungkyunkwan Confucian Scholars.' Set during an era when society does not allow females to be educated nor employed, Kim Yoon Hee disguises herself as her brother, Kim Yoon Shik, in order to make ends meet for her family.

If you know me or if you suspect me, I don't watch a lot of historical dramas, they aren't my favorite but there are some that I would watch. This is one of them. After seeing many people recommending this drama and different scene cuts, I decided to watch it. It was hard to get use to but I end up liking this drama. It was that bad for me.

25. Love in the Moonlight

Love in the Moonlight is a 2016 historical drama starring Park Bo Gum, Kim Yoo Jung, Jinyoung of B1A4, Chae Soo Bin and Kwak Dong Yeon. It is a coming-of-age story and youth romance set during the 19th century Joseon Dynasty based on the novel Moonlight Drawn by Clouds.

Again, not a historical drama viewer but I only ended up watching this drama because of Jinyoung of B1A4 and Park Bo Gum. This drama was a domestic and overseas hit therefore I put it on the list.

Honorable Mentions:

Innocent Man | Healer | Becky's Back


Cheer Up! | Winter Sonata | Spring Waltz

 

(Credit: All images are from mydramalist.com and all information about the dramas are from wikipedia.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment