Thursday, June 20, 2019

LTA KPOP 2 EP 5: Top 25 MBC Dramas

Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) is one of the leading South Korean television and radio network companies. Munhwa is Korean word for culture. Established on December 2, 1961, MBC is a Korean terrestrial broadcaster which has a nationwide network of 17 regional stations.

Like the last two LTA KPOP post where I tell you my favorite dramas release by the broadcasting stations this is another one. Let's get started.



1. The King 2 Hearts

The King 2 Hearts is a 2012 drama starring Ha Ji Won and Lee Seung Gi. It is about a South Korean crown prince, set in an alternate reality modern-day where South Korea is governed by a constitutional monarchy descended from the Joseon Dynasty, who falls in love with a North Korean special agent, who is the daughter of a North Korean military high command official. This is an action romance drama with twenty episodes.

This drama also stared Jo Jung Suk and Lee Yoon Ji and honestly this couple was the reason why this drama was a hit. I actually lie, this drama is where I fell in love with Jo Jung Suk. I think the previous drama (if you haven't seen the other post, go check it out then you'll know) is where I full got to see his potential as an leading actor and also get to know him more. The only reason why I actually watch this drama was because of Lee Seung Gi and then after founding out that my favorite artist Kim Tae Yeon or Girls Generation sang an OST for this drama made it even better. No lie.

2. Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo is a 2016 drama starring Lee Sung Kyung, Nam Joo Hyuk, Lee Jae Yoon, and Kyung Soo Jin. It is a coming-of-age sports and romanctic-comedy drama, inspired by the life of Olympic gold-medalist Jang Mi Ran. It is about a group of college athletes who are fighting for their dreams, experiencing and finding love in the process and growing every step of the way.

I wasn't sure myself about this drama at first but I fell in love with the simple and innocent story line when the first episode aired. Not only is that but Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk story line and chemistry are amazing. Which lead them to date each other in real life, but sadly they already broke up. You can find information on that, just Google them up. But nonetheless, this is still a great drama to watch.

3. Terius Behind Me

Terius Behind Me also known as My Secret Terrius is a 2018 drama starring So Ji Sub, Jung In Sun, Son Ho Jun and Im Se Mi. It is a romantic-comedy and mystery drama about a woman losing her husband and her neighbor, who was an NIS agent, discovering the truth behind her husband's involvement in a huge conspiracy.

I actually only found this drama out through the award shows at the end of the year but I really like it. I think the pairing is so cute and So Ji Sub playing an agent role is always amazing and good. There is really nothing bad to say about this drama because I was guessing myself the whole entire time on who to trust and find out who was the good and bad guys. I do stay that So Ji Sub being a babysitter stole the whole entire show though.

4. Heartstrings

Heartstrings also known as You've Fallen for Me is a 2011 drama starring Park Shin Hye and Jung Yong Hwa of CNBLUE. It is a romance, melodrama and musical drama about love, friendship and dreams, set against the background of a performing arts college.

Park Shin Hye and Jung Yong Hwa have stared together in a different series, You're Beautiful, before therefore seeing this couple pairing was pleasant because in the previous series, they weren't the leading couple and Jung Yong Hwa played the second main lead. Sad, I know. This was just such a romantic melodrama to watch. There wasn't something super crazy about this drama but there is a lot of things I still don't understand. It's been to long for me but at the time I still didn't understand. What really stuck out for me was the OST. This drama was a hit on the OST because they were amazing. You get to hear Jung Yong Hwa and Park Shin Hye sing but also Kang Min Hyuk of CNBLUE sing too. He is also part of the cast too.  This is a musical drama too therefore hearing them sing in the drama was pleasant and nice. I really wish for more musical drama to appear because it just mean more good music to listen too.

5. Coffee Prince

Coffee Prince also known as The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince is a 2007 drama starring Yoon Eun Hye, Gong Yoo, Lee Sun Kyun, and Chae Jung An. It is a romantic comedy drama based on the novel of the same name written by Lee Sun Mi. The drama tells the story of an unlikely romance between a tomboyish woman, who dresses like a man in order to get work and a young food empire mogul. It contains homoerotic elements as the man does not initially know of the tomboy's true sex.

This is one of the drama I grew up watching and remember watching. There has been a few different remakes of this drama in different languages but this is still a great drama to watch. This is where I was introduce to Gong Yoo and Yoon Eun Hye. I would love to see a new season of this drama. A remake in Korean would be fine but I think just another season following in similar story line would be good.

6. Pasta

Pasta is a 2010 drama starring Gong Hyo Jin, Lee Sun Kyun, Lee Han Nui and Alex Chu. The romantic comedy is about the dreams and struggles of a young woman who aspires to become an elite chef.

I don't remember much about this drama because it's fuzzy in my head as I'm writing this. I feel like I should go back and watch this drama over again. I do remember that many celebrities do an impression (imitate) Lee Sun Kyun's character in a scene though and that the reason why I went to go watch this drama. This is the drama that introduce Gong Hyo Jin to me and not to say, she is a great talent actress.

7. Miss Korea

Miss Korea is a 2013 drama starring Lee Sun Kyun, Lee Yeon Hee, Lee Mi Sook, Lee Sung Min, Song Seon Mi and Lee Ki Woo. This is a romance, life comedy drama set in the year 1997, a cosmetics company is in a bad financial shape during the IMF crisis, so to save the company, he along with his employees attempt to make a 25-year-old girl into Miss Korea, a nationwide beauty pageant winner. Back in their high school days, she was the most beautiful and popular girl on campus, but she now works as an elevator girl.

When I first heard to this drama, I have one thought in my head and that was who is playing the lead role. If she wasn't pretty enough, this drama isn't worth it at all, but if she is, this drama would be good. I didn't care much about the story line at the very beginning. I have heard of Lee Yeon Hee and have seen her in many variety shows like Running Man therefore I was familiar with her. But at the same time, I wasn't sure if she was pretty enough yet because if there was another prettier contestant or character it would be hard. At the end, I truly think she is very beautiful and the prettiest not to say she matches the character of her role. I don't think there would be anyone who can play this role like her.

8. W - Two Worlds

W - Two Worlds or just W is a 2016 drama starring Lee Jong Suk and Han Hyo Joo. This is a fantasy, suspense, thriller, romance drama with supernatural Gothic. W centers on the clash between 'two worlds': the real world and a fantasy world inside a webtoon, from which the title of the television series was taken.

I was very excited for his drama because it stared Lee Jong Suk but also because it deals with two different world from the real world and the fantasy webtoon world. As the story progress, it got somewhat boring and then weird that I can't pinpoint or figure out what was going on. The pairing is two die for because they are both good looking and beautiful but, I wasn't sure this drama was going to be hit drama for both of them. This was also the comeback drama for Han Hyo Joo after six years, so I was a little disappointed. 

9. A Hundred Year Legacy

A Hundred Year Legacy also known as A Hundred Year's Inheritance is a 2013 drama starring Eugene and Lee Jung Jin. It is a romantic drama revolving around themes of food, love and family. The warm human drama is about a modest Seoul noodle house that's been operated by the same family for three generations. This drama won the 2013 MBC Drama Awards as the Drama of the Year.

I was excited for this drama because I haven't really seen Eugene act in more recent dramas therefore this was exciting for me. The drama itself is amazing and great. The reason why they won Drama of the Year. I was also introduce to Lee Jung Jin in this drama and he did an amazing job. This drama kept me on my feet with so many things thrown at me. An excellent drama with excellent cast.

10. Golden Rainbow

Golden Rainbow is a 2013 drama starring Uee, Jung Il Woo, Cha Ye Ryun and Lee Jae Yoon. It is a romantic drama about seven orphans, who were adopted and raised by the same father growing up together as a family in a town near the ocean. With the bond between them even stronger than that of blood-related siblings, they experience hardships together and struggle to succeed in the marine products industry. It mainly revolves around a girl who was kept away from her mother by her father's mother.

This is such a great cast from the younger cast to the older cast. The story line is great and I love the relationship between the siblings. Each of the siblings play such an important part to the story. And their relationship is definitely much more stronger than my relationship with my siblings for sure. We can't beat that for sure. This drama also introduce me to Cha Ye Ryun, Lee Jae Yoon, Park Sun Ho. Park Sun Ho is currently a trainee in Produce X 101, so please continue to support him. But I love the cast, they are amazing. I honestly forgot about Jung Il Woo's character as I am writing this because the siblings characters are so strong that Jung Il Woo is lost in my head. Not to say, he does play a huge part in this story because he is the leading male lead. Spoiler Alert it is not Lee Jae Yoon. Although it would be very awkward and weird if it was Lee Jae Yoon, because his character is one of the siblings characters.

11. She Was Pretty

She Was Pretty is a 2015 drama starring Hwang Jung Eum, Park Seo Joon, Go Joon Hee, and Choi Si Won of Super Junior. This is a romantic comedy drama, based on a true story, about two past acquaintances who meet again after they've gone through a reversal of fortunes and appearances, set in the backdrop of a fashion magazine's publishing office.

I don't remember how I came across this drama. Was it Park Seo Joon or was it because of Choi Si Won? Honestly, that doesn't matter because they were both amazing in this drama. All the scene with Choi Si Won was hilarious, I mean most of the scenes. On the other hand, Park Seo Joon and Hwang Jung Eun working together isn't the first, so it fits well.

12. My Spring Days

My Spring Days also known as My Spring Day of My Life is a 2014 drama starring Kam Woo Sung, Choi Soo Young of Girls' Generation, Lee Joon Hyuk, and Jang Shin Young. The plot uses the concept of cellular memory, a medical hypothesis that recipient's personalities and habits become similar to their donors. This is a romantic melodrama and family drama. It is about a girl who was once a terminally ill patient, but been given a second chance at life after getting a heart transplant and now lives each day to the fullest. She meets the CEO of Hanuiron, a widower with two children who lost his wife to an accident. She falls for him, not knowing that her donor was his's wife.

Honest truth, I only watch this drama because of Choi Soo Young, but at the end of the drama, I feel in love with this story line. Yes, it has to do with the fact that the donor personalities and habits play a huge part but also because it remind me of another different drama from KBS. Check out the other post if you want to know which drama I am talking about. This drama was such a great drama that puts Choi Soo Young in her acting position, not to say others weren't good but this was just such a great drama.

13. Moon Embracing the Sun

Moon Embracing the Sun also known as The Sun and the Moon or The Moon That Embraces the Sun is a 2012 drama starring Kim Soo Hyun, Han Ga In, Jung Il Woo, and Kim Min Seo. It is a historical fantasy drama that is adapted from the novel of the same name written by Jung Eun Gwol. It is about a secret poignant love story between a fictional king of the Joseon Dynasty and a female shaman against the backdrop of a Korean traditional palace and conflicts and conspiracy of vying political powers. This drama won the Best Drama and Best Actor awards in the television category at the 48th Baeksang Arts Awards and multiple awards at the 2012 MBC Drama Awards including Drama of the Year.

This drama was the hit drama of 2012. I remember everyone talking about this drama. Honestly, I don't like historical dramas at all therefore, I wasn't going to watch this drama at all but because of everyone including my friends, I watch it just so I can talk to them about it. Done deal. I do agree that this is one of the drama that every Korean drama lovers or viewers must see, because if I have watch it, then that means everyone should watch it. Also can we talk about the younger cast, because they were amazing and because of this drama that skyrocketed a lot of them to be actors and actresses that we know, watch and some that are leading the next and younger generation.

14. Princess Hours

Princess Hours is also known as Goong is a 2006 drama starring Yoon Eun Hye, Ju Ji Hoon, Kim Jeong Hoon, and Song Ji Hyo. It is based on a Korean Manhwa by Park So Hee titled Goong. It is a romantic comedy drama set in an alternate 21st-century Korea which has retained its monarchy and imperial family since 1945. The series focuses on the lives of Crown prince and his new bride.

This drama introduce me to the other three actors: Ju Ji Hoon, Kim Jeong Hoon, and Song Ji Hyo. Actually I remember watching this drama once I got back home after school during my middle school years. I mean that it crazy that I can still remember it. And yes, this is the Song Ji Hyo of Running Man, I am talking about here. I actually didn't if know that at first until years later when I was randomly researching dramas and films that Song Ji Hyo have appear in and this one pop out in her resume. My reaction was WTF, this is crazy, who did she play. This drama just brings back a lot of memories.

15. Playful Kiss

Playful Kiss also known as Mischievous Kiss or Naughty Kiss is a 2010 romantic comedy drama starring Jung So Min and Kim Hyun Joong. It is based on the Japanese manga Itazura Na Kiss written by Tada Kaoru. The Korean series is the third television adaptation of the manga following the Taiwanese series It Started with a Kiss in 2005 and its sequel They Kiss Again in 2007. It is about a ditsy and unpopular girl who is in love with the opposite boy, who is smart and popular. Tension rises when she writes and delivers her love letter to which he gives back and graded. Heart broken and embarrassed, she goes home to her home, to only her collapse house and it forced to stay at her father's friend place which happen to be the place where the popular boy lives.

There is so many versions and remake of this drama that if you have seen one you already know what going to happen but still this is still a very great series. I actually think it best to watch all the different remakes and versions of this drama because you get to see how other writer and director view the script. I think having Kim Hyun Joong playing the lead role was perfect and Jung So Min playing her character was prefect too because the drama was amazing to watch. The chemistry of them together was pleasant to view and it was just another fun drama to watch.

16. The Great Seducer

The Great Seducer also known as Tempted is a 2018 thriller romance and melodrama starring Woo Do Hwan, Park Soo Young or Joy of Red Velvet, Moon Ga Young and Kim Min Jae. It is loosely based on the French novel titled Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos De Lacols. It is a melodrama that depicts the lives of rich young men and women who begin to discover their true feelings whilst playing the dangerous game of love.

Honestly, I only watch this drama because of Park Soo Young or Joy. I wasn't interested in this drama at all. It was way to much for me and was something I don't like watching but I was very interested by the end of the three or four episodes.

17. Splash Splash Love

Splash Splash Love is a 2015 Korean drama special that initially aired on Naver TV Cast. This fantasy, time slip, romance drama stared Kim Seul Gi and Yoon Doo Joon of HIGHLIGHT. This story is about the love story between a cross dressing eunuch who came from the present and a monarch from Joseon era.

This was such a cute and short simple drama series. It focus on math which was very important in the story line but also the chemistry between the leading couple was adorable. Very typical of time slip drama I am consistently thinking about how this relationship is going to work and my favorite part of this drama happens at the end. SPOILER ALERT, they do meet each other in the present time and it is amazing and I love it so much. Also, Yoon Doo Joon is such a great actor and he play this character so well. I can't wait for him to come back from his military service and appear in more acting projects.

18. Fated to Love You

Fated to Love You also known as You Are My Destiny is a 2014 drama starring Jang Na Ra, Jang Hyuk, Choi Jin Hyuk and Wang Ji Won. This romantic comedy drama is a remake of the Taiwanese drama Fated to Love You starring Joe Chan and Ethan Ruan. This series reunited Jang Hyuk and Jang Na Ra, who previously starred together twelve years before on Successful Story of a Bright Girl in 2002. It is about a successor to a large company ran by his family and an average-looking secretary in a law firm who earned the nickname 'Post-it' for her inability to say no to her colleagues who dump work on her.

This is another remake drama and again, if you already see one version of this drama, the story same the same in those different versions. I personally didn't like this version as much as the other versions because of Jang Hyuk's laugh. His laugh in the drama at the beginning was just very annoy and bother me a lot but I still really like Jang Hyuk a lot. I do really like Jang Na Ra a lot though and I feel like this is such a great drama for Jang Na Ra.

19. Who Are You?

Who Are You? is a 2008 drama starring Yoon Kye Sang, Go Ara, and Kang Nam Gil. This is a romantic comedy drama about a middle aged deliveryman and his aspiring cartoonist daughter who work part time instead of going to college due to financial difficulties. After a traffic accident, she is left penniless and her father soul is left to wander for days before possesses a stranger's body to care for her. He possess a cold-hearted, perfectionist corporate raider who was abandoned as a child, then adopted and raised in the United States.

This was a very weird drama when I first started watching it. I remember watching this drama back ten years ago when it came out therefore I was like, what am I watching. I do really like this drama though because it introduce me to both Go Ara and Yoon Kye Sang.

20. Sad Love Story

Sad Love Story also known as Sad Sonata is a 2005 romantic melodrama starring Kwon Sang Woo, Kim Hee Sun and Yeon Jung Hoon. From the moment they meet, they both share an instant connection. Young and naive, they believe that nothing can change their life. Life, however, pulls them in opposite direction.

This drama is such a sad drama, hence the title of the drama. This series is a series of love, death and suspense. This drama brings a lot of memories back because me and my siblings sat around watching this drama together.

21. High Kick: Revenge of the Short Legged

High Kick: Revenge of the Short Legged is a 2011 sitcom revolving around the lives of the Ahn family and their neighbors, it explores the lives of people who are down and out and how they manage to recover. This sitcom starred Ahn Nae Sang, Yoon Yoo Sun, Yoon Kye Sang, Seo Ji Seok, Lee Jong Suk, Krystal Jung of f(x), Kim Ji Won, Park Ha Sun, Baek Jin Hee, and Julien Kang.

This sitcom is such a fun and hilarious drama. The cast member also makes the whole entire story fun to watch. Although it may be old, I mean there are older drama but this sitcom is a lot of fun to watch. I actually got into this drama after finding out that Krystal was it in and then later discovering the Lee Jong Suk was in this sitcom along with Kang Seung Yoon of WINNER.

22. Creating Destiny

Creating Destiny is also known as Seeking Love or Making Fate is a 2009 romantic comedy drama starring Eugene and Ki Tae Young. This drama is based on the two-volume manhwa of the same title written by Choi Soo Jung and Hyun Go Woon. Her family immigrated to Australia at a young age. After graduating from law school, she announces her plans to marry her American boyfriend, a fellow attorney. But her father is strongly opposed to the match, because he has his heart set on her marrying the son of his best friend who lives back in Korea. He orders her to meet the bachelor that they picked out for her before she goes ahead and married her American boyfriend. She finds herself exiled to Korea where she reluctantly teams up with her father's friend's son, who is focused on his career and equally uninterested in marriage, to device a plan that will allow them to avoid their impending wedlock.

This is such a cute series because Eugene and Ki Tae Young actually got married in real life through this drama and I can't be mad because they have such an adorable daughter together. This drama is also a very good drama to watch because they unexpectedly fell in love with each other despite planing a plan to not get married.

23. All My Love

All My Love also known as All My Love For You is a 2010 sitcom starring Kim Kap Soo, Park Mi Sun, Jo Kwon of 2AM, Gain of Brown Eyed Girls, Yoon Doo Joon of HIGHLIGHT, Jun Tae Soo and Yoon Seung Ah. It is about relationship between two families based on the traditional Korean Cinderella folktale about Kongji and Patji. The Kongji family is poor but kind, while the Patji family is rich but selfish.

Because this is a sitcom there is about 210 episodes long. No worries those episodes are not a hour long at all. This drama also guest star idol members including Park Cho Rong of APINK and Lizzy, now Park Soo Ah, a former member of After School and Orange Caramel. I only watch this sitcom because of the the idol members that appear on this sitcom. The story line itself is fuzzy in my head and I don't know anything about the Korean Cinderella folktale at all but this is a very fun sitcom to watch.

24. Gu Family Book

Gu Family Book also known as Kang Chi, The Beginning is a 2013 historical, fantasy, action, romance drama starring Lee Seung Gi and Bae Suzy of Miss A. The fusion martial arts action historical drama is about a half man-half monster who is searching for a centuries-old book that according to gumiho legend, contains the secret to becoming human.

Honestly, I didn't watch this drama at all. The only reason why this drama is on this list is because there isn't a lot MBC dramas that I personally like. Also it is because my brothers love this drama and is always trying to get me to watch this drama. I personally was on the edge about watching this drama just because of Lee Seung Gi but I didn't because of Suzy. I like Suzy, but she isn't my personal favorite actress.

25. Cinderella Man

Cinderella Man is a 2009 romantic drama starring Kwon Sang Woo and Im Yoon Ah of Girls' Generation. Kwon Sang Woo plays two lookalikes who live very different lives. Modeled after a more modern, masculine version of Cinderella. Dae San is a clothing designer who operates a small shop in Dongdaemun Market and dreams of wealth. He meets Joon Hee one day, the heir of a fashion empire, who invites him to become him.

Honestly, this drama was alright. I don't honestly remember every detail about this drama at all but I did only watch this drama to support Im Yoon Ah and also this is were I rediscover Kwon Sang Woo. I honestly don't know how Cinderella this drama is compare to the story line but I don't think I would go back to back this drama every again. 

Honorable Mention:

A Thousand Kisses


A Thousand Kisses is a 2011 drama starring Seo Young Hee, Ji Hyun Woo, Ryu Jin and Kim So Eun. It explores the question of age differences in romance. 

(Credit: All image are found on wikipedia.com and mydramalist.com and all information about the drama are found on wikipedia.com.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment