Tuesday, January 4, 2022

KPOP OT EP 1: Top 10 Rookies of 2021

 Welcome to the very first episode of KPOP OT. In this episode I will be talking about my favorite rookies for the year of 2021. These rookies soloists and idol groups debuted in 2021 and I'm so excited to tell you some of my favorite things about their debuts. Let's get started. 

Honestly in 2021, I'm surprised there were not a lot of groups debuting at all but I understand that because of the pandemic a lot of the smaller companies may not have funds to support new idol groups or soloists. That being said, as I went back to review the groups and soloists that debuted in 2021, there was a lot of familiar faces that has been in the industry. I will be putting some of the solo artist together because it made sense to do so. So, I will be starting off at number ten. 


10. Kwon Eun Bi and Jo Yu Ri



IZ*ONE official disband in August 2021 and I was sad but happy and excited to see what the members of IZ*ONE have plans for the future. Luckily, we didn't have to wait long for their debuts. Two of the first member to debut from IZ*ONE were Eun Bi and Yu Ri. 

Kwon Eun Bi made her soloist debuted in August of 2021 under Woollim Entertainment. She also appeared on Mnet's Produce 48 where she place seventh and made her debuted with IZ*ONE in October of 2018. Her debuted song is 'Door.' 

Eun Bi is such a visual queen in this music video. Honestly, I don't mind her debuting as a soloist at all but I think I would love her to debut in a group setting more just because I like her present in the group vibes. She still a very talented and gorgeous person though. I love the outfits for her music show performances and I really like the dance but my favorite part has to be the hook right before the chorus. I'm hoping for another comeback this year in 2022. 

 Yu Ri made her soloist debuted in October of 2021 under WAKE ONE Entertainment but she has appear in survival shows like Mnet's Idol School and Produce 48. She placed third in Produce 48 which she made her debuted with IZ*ONE in October of 2018. Yu Ri made her debuted with the song 'Glassy.' 

Yu Ri debuted came as a surprise for me personally just because she doesn't give me solo vibes she give me more group vibes. Again, I don't mind her debuted as a soloist at all because she did amazing here too. The song itself was honestly boring to listen to at the beginning eventually if you keep listening to it you can see or hear herself humming it in the back of your head. I'm hoping for a comeback this year 2022 for her too. 

 

9. Wendy and Joy


After seven years, Red Velvet finally have some members debuting as solo artists. I'm excited to see the rest of the members debuting as solo artists because they are all so talented. 

Wendy is a member of Red Velvet under SM Entertainment. Wendy official made her soloist debuted in April of 2021 with the song 'Like Water.' 

Wendy is the first member of Red Velvet to debut as a solo artist and I couldn't hold my excitement when I first heard this because I love Wendy. I love her voice and I love her vibes. She is amazing. Every time I listen to her debut song I just feel at ease. The way she hits all the high notes and the the way her vocals flow is just amazing. 

Joy is a member of Red Velvet under SM Entertainment. Joy official made her soloist debuted in May of 2021 with the song 'Hello.' 

Honestly, kind of surprise that Joy had her solo debut because I was thinking it would be Seulgi but Joy has this vibes that I really love and that comes from watching her on variety shows. She so cute and adorable on top of being so talented too. Another visual queen here. When I first heard this song, I was like this is it. It gives me Joy vibes and I love it so much. 

 

8. MIRAE


MIRAE made their debuted under DSP Media in March of 2021 with the song 'Killa.' The members consisted of Lee Jun Hyuk, Lien, Yoo Dou Hyun, Khael, Son Dong Pyo, Park Si Young and Jang Yu Bin. Khael and Park Si Young participated in MBC's Under Nineteen survival shows while Lee Jun Hyuk and Son Dong Pyo participated in Mnet's Produce X 101. Son Don Pyo placed sixth where he debuted with X1 in August of 2019. 

First, I'm was excited for this debut because X1 didn't last long as I would love for it and I understand that because of the whole entire voting situation. Second reason is because they are debuting under DSP Media and they haven't had a boy group debuting for awhile therefore I want to see how the company is going to support these boys. They did earn the name 2021 Super Rookies, so I'm excited for their future. 

7. Purple Kiss

Purple Kiss is a girl group that debuted in March of 2021 although they were active already in 2020 and known as 365 Practice. They are under RBW and their debuted song is 'Ponzona.' The members consisted of Park Ji Eun, Na Go Eun, Dosie, Ireh, Yuki, Chaein and Swan. Chaein appeared in SBS's KPOP Star Season 1 and 3. Dosie participated in JTBC's Mix Nine. Park Ji Eun and Na Go Eun participated in Mnet's Produce 48. 

This debut was a debut that I was looking forward too just because I was watching them before their debut as 365 Practice and I really like their personalities that they shown in the videos that produce. Secondly, I was just super excited for Na Go Eun debut because she was amazing on Produce 48. Their debut song was something I personally didn't except from them but their name itself stated that their group wasn't going to be super cute and adorable in their debut. I personally really like the chorus to 'Ponzona.'  I'm super excited for their future and I'm hoping that RBW would treat them very well like Mamamoo. 

6. Ciipher

Ciipher is a boy group under R.A.I.N Company that debuted in March of 2021. They debuted with the song 'I Like You.' The members consisted of Tan, Hwi, Hyunbin, Keita, Tag, Dohwan and Won. Tan participated in Mnet's No.Mercy. Keita and Dohwan were contestants on JTBC's YG's Treasure Box. Won participated in MBC's Under Nineteen where he placed seventh and debuted with 1the9 April of 2019. Hyunbin participated in Mnet's Produce X 101. 

Let's just start with the fact that their debut music video starts off with sunflowers. LOVE. Okay, this group came as a surprise to me because I was not excepting to really like the song at all. Secondly, I was very surprise that they were debuting under RAIN, but I have to trust RAIN because he knows the KPOP idol world more than me. I really think this boy group would do very well in the future and hopefully they would be able to get rid of that status as the group that RAIN debuted because when you look back to past groups that debuted under another celebrity especially other idols, they don't seem to do very well. Let's hope for the best for this group. 

5. Billie

Billie is a girl group that debuted under Mystic Story in November 2021with the title track 'Ring X Ring.' The members consisted of Moon Sua, Suhyeon, Haram, Tsuki, Siyoon, Haruna and Sheon. The members were also known as Mystic Rookies before their debuted. Moon Sua participated in Mnet's Unpretty Rapstar 2. Suhyeon participated in Mnet's Produce 101 and JTBC's Mix Nine. She also starred in the web drama A-Teen in 2018 and it's sequel A-Teen 2 in 2019. Siyoon participated in KPOP Star Season 5. Sheon joined the group a couple of days after their official debuted because she participated in Mnet's Girls Planet 999. 

Honestly, the name was quiet confusing at first and the debut song didn't catch my attention but going back to listen to the song again I catch myself liking the chorus. Notice, I like chorus. But I was very excited for this group because of one member. I love Suhyeon. I love her in Produce 101 and in A-Teen so when I heard she was going to debut, I was excited because she is such a talented girl. I'm sad that they had to add in a new member like only a couple days after their debut but I love that they also did it too. Having Sheon join right after just finishing Girls Planet 999 was a very smart move, honestly, because she had gain such a great amount of popularity and fame through the show that having her debut right away was a better choice then keeping her as a trainee and then debuting her years later. I'm also scared that this would ruin the group image in terms of fans accusing the group to be popular because of one members. We have seen this in many many idol groups already. They biggest problem I might have is the agency they are under. If they do the members and groups rights, this group will succeed but if it goes the opposite directions, I would be so sad. 

4. Lightsum

Lightsum debuted under CUBE Entertainment in June 2021 with the song 'Vanilla.' The members consisted of Sangah, Chowon, Nayoung, Hina, Juhyeon, Yujeong, Huiyeon and Jian. Juhyeon participated in KBS's The Unit: Idol Rebooting Project. Chowon, Nayoung and Yujeong all participated in Mnet's Produce 48.

When I heard that this group was going to debut with these members, I was excited but also sacred. I have seen these members grown through different shows that they participated and I am so happy they finally got the chance to debut. This debut for them is amazing and I love it. The only thing I am scared of is CUBE. We all know CUBE and their stories so let's hope that CUBE does these girls well because they are so talented and amazing. I was surprise that they went with a cuter concept to debut with but I love that they did just because of the younger girls and I personally think they all match very well. Well done!

3. BamBam, Jay B, Jinyoung, Choi Young Jae and Yugyeom

 
 

What does these boys have in common? Well, they are all members of GOT7. At the beginning of 2021 in January, GOT7 contract ended with JYP Entertainment therefore leading them to go off on their own and join different companies. Lucky, some of members were able to debut as a soloist this year. I couldn't just feel this list with all soloist debuts or just GOT7's members soloist debuts only so I decided to put them together because I can. 

Jay B signed under H1gher Music and debuted in May 2021 with the single 'Switch It Up.' 

Yugyeom signed under AOMG and in June 2021 he made his debuted with the song 'I Want U Around.' 

BamBam signed under Abyss Company. He officially made his debuted with 'Ribbon' in June of 2021. 

Jinyoung signed under BH Entertainment. He release his solo debut song 'Dive' in July 2021. 

Choi Young Jae signed under Sublime Artist Agency. He made his debuted in October 2021 with the song 'Vibin.' 

Can I just say, these boys are amazing. Their contract ended and they sign with other companies and debuted as solo artists and still hopefully comeback one day as GOT7. I put them together because I love GOT7 and therefore when all of them debuted as solo artists, I personally didn't want the list to be just GOT7 members therefore I just put them all together so I can share my love for all the members. I am so happy that they are still active in each others life and in the industry because they each bring something so different that touches everyone. 

 

 


2. IVE

IVE debuted under Starship Entertainment in December 2021 with the song 'Eleven.' The members consisted of Yujin, Gaeul, Rei, Wonyoung, Liz and Leeseo. Yujin and Wonyoung both participated in Mnet's Produce 48 where they place fifth and first which lead them to debuting with IZ*ONE in October of 2018. 

I was shock to see this group debut because I was hoping they would debut in 2022 instead but they debuted in December 2021. The biggest issue this group made with having such a young member and I agree that a young member was not a great choice because there so much she can do and can't do. I do understand that the younger generations are becoming more interest in this career path and they are talented too but still. The debut song is amazing. I love it. I don't know if they would be able to keep find a better song than this but no worries a lot of time, they usually do. I am excited to see this group grow and especially Yujin and Wonyoung. 

1. Lisa

Lisa is a member of BLACKPINK under YG Entertainment. She made her soloist debuted in September of 2021 with the song 'Lalisa.' 

You can say whatever you want to say but I have to say that this is by far the best debut ever because I didn't see this coming at all. Lisa hit me hard with her debut song and she keeps hitting with everything she does. This is my favorite rookie of 2021 with the best debut song ever. No one can say she wasn't successful with this debut. 

Something I notice while typing and figuring out this list is that a lot of the trainees that went through Produce 101 series debuted in 2021 and I am so glad and happy for them. They work so hard for their dream and I hope that their fans will keep supporting them. 

So before we end this here. I want to say that everyone that debuted in 2021 probably had a hard time just because of the pandemic and I am so thankful for them all to keep giving us, their fans, everything they can. 

(Image Credits: CiipherPurple Kiss | Eunbi | Yuri | Wendy | Joy | Mirae | Billie | Lightsum | Lisa | IVE | Bambam | Jay B | Jinyoung | Choi Young Jae | Yugyeom)

No comments:

Post a Comment