Friday, January 21, 2022

KPOP OT EP 10: Top 10 Group Created From Survival Shows


 Welcome back to another KPOP OT episode, in today episode, we are not going to be talking about Girls Planet 999 but instead something related to it. 

Girls Planet 999 is a survival show creating a new KPOP group. Although it is not a long term KPOP group, the amount of success and fame the members get to really help the group succeed even after the show and after the temporary group disband.

Some other survival shows do create long term and official groups like SIXTEEN. The show that create TWICE. 

Survival shows is a really good way to showcase trainees because through these shows trainees are able to build up their fandom and by the time they debut they are have a huge chuck of people supporting them that makes it a lot easier for companies to not really advertise the group because fan will do so themselves. Why are survival shows so great? We also get to see trainees that possible can debut in the future. Companies also get to see if their trainees have enough potential before debuting them. 

So let's get started. I will be ranking my top ten KPOP groups that debuted or was created through a survival show. Because there are so many survival shows, the shows that I am looking at for this list have eliminations to the final group. That means on the show, at least more than a chuck of trainees have been eliminated from the show to create a group. Like usual, we start off at number ten. 

Disclaimer! This is my own opinion and thoughts. This does not reflect any numbers or ranking or sales that the group may have surpass or held any title too. This is base on my ranking of groups that I really like and just so happen to be created through a survival show. 

10. Enphyen

Enphyen debuted through Mnet's I-Land on November 30, 2020 with the titled track 'Given-Taken' under BE:LIFT Lab. The members are Heeseung, Jay, Jake, Sunghoon, Sunoo, Jungwon, and Ni-Ki. 

I didn't know that they were formed on a survival show until I went to look them up after listening and watching one of their performances. I didn't watch I-Land, which is horrible for me but I did go back and watch it because of them. I really do like them. 

9. X1

X1 debuted through Mnet's Produce X 101 on August 27, 2019 with the titled track 'Flash' under Swing and Stone Music Entertainment. The members are Han Seung Woo, Cho Seung Youn, Kim Woo Seok, Kim Yo Han, Lee Han Gyul, Cha Jun Ho, Song Dong Pyo, Kang Min Hee, Lee Eun Sang, Song Hyeong Jun and Nam Do Hyon. They officially disband on January 6, 2020. 

I was very excited for this group but unfortunately they disband six months after their debut due to Mnet vote manipulation investigation and unsuccessful negotiation with the members' individual agencies. I wish them well in their current activities and careers and I really hope one day they would be able to reunite and create another stage for their fans.    

8. Fromis_9

Fromis_9 debuted through Mnet's Idol School on January 24, 2018 with the titled track 'To Heart' under Stone Music Entertainment. The group is now under Pledis Entertainment. The members are Lee Sae Rom, Song Ha Young, Jang Gyu Ri, Park Ji Won, Roh Ji Sun, Lee Seo Yeon, Lee Chae Young, Lee Na Gyung, and Baek Ji Heon. 

I did watch the show up until the last episode. I honestly didn't care up for this group until their first comeback with 'DKDK.' As of right now, I really wish for a comeback and I do really like them a lot. 

7. UNB

UNB debuted through KBS's The Unit on April 7, 2018 with the double title tracks 'Feelings' and 'Only One' under The Unit Culture Industry Company. The member are Euijin, Feeldog, Daewon, Marco, Ko Ho Jung, Ji Han Sol, Jun, Chan, and Ki Jung. They officially disband on January 27, 2019.

The concept of this show was to help idols that already debuted for a while to be more successful or noticeable to the public. The sad part is that some of the idols that made the final cut barely just debuted or haven't debuted yet. Overall, I was still excited for their debut and activities. I wanted to see what KBS could offer them because mainly survival shows were done by Mnet. I would of like a longer active time period for them and more work. I think keeping them as a collaborative group that reunite every few years for comeback would of been better for them instead of a short active period. 

6. UNI.T

UNI.T debuted through KBS's The Unit on May 18, 2018 with the titled track 'No More' under The Unit Culture Industry Company. The members are Yang Ji Won, Woohee, Yoon Jo, ZN, NC.A, Euijin, Ye Bin, Lee Hyun Joo and Lee Su Ji. They officially disbanded on October 12, 2018. 

So, unlike the UNB, this group does contain members that already debuted and have pervious experience. I was excited for this group and they didn't make it far. They only have two release with five months of activities together before they disband. Huge disappointment. 

5. TWICE

Twice debuted through Mnet's Sixteen on October 20, 2015 with the titled track 'Like Ooh - Ahh' under JYP Entertainment. The members are Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana, Jihyo, Mina, Dahyun, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu. 

I watch this show because I love groups under JYP so I was super excited for their debut. Yes, I was disappointed that certain trainees didn't make the cut, but think about it now, if they did, how would the group be like. Would they be this successful? Would we still get the iconic TWICE moments or performances? Think about it. It would we weird to have Somi or Natty or even Ji Won from Fromis_9 in this group instead of some of the iconic TWICE members that we love. The group success already tells you that JYP did a really good job on picking the trainees for this group. 

4. IZ*ONE

IZ*ONE debuted through Mnet's Produce 48 on October 29, 2018 with the titled track 'La Vie en Rose' under Swing and Off the Record Entertainment. The members are Kwon Eun Bi, Miyawaki Sakura, Kang Hye Won, Choi Ye Na, Lee Chae Yeon, Kim Chae Won, Kim Min Ju, Yabuki Nako, Honda Hitomi, Jo Yu Ri, An Yu Jin and Jang Won Young. The officially disbanded on April 29, 2021. 

I really love this group and I am sad to see that they disbanded but I can't wait to see all the members future activities. Yes, I was sad that certain trainees didn't make the cut but at the end of the day, I still really like all the members in this group.

3. Wanna One

Wanna One debuted through Mnet's Produce 101 Season 2 on August 7, 2017 with the titled track 'Energetic' under Swing Entertainment. The members are Yoon Ji Sung, Ha Sung Woon, Hwang Min Hyun, Ong Seong Wu, Kim Jae Hwan, Kang Daniel, Park Ji Hoon, Park Woo Jin, Bae Jin Young, Lee Dae Hwi and Lai Kuan Lin. They officially disbanded on January 27, 2019 although their contract ended on December 31, 2018. 

Can we just agree that they are so iconic? The amount of popularity and fame that they gain through the show and after really set the fame for the next group. I mean the success of the group before set it for Wanna One but Wanna One went beyond and I am glad to see that they reunited for a performances but I really wish for a comeback from them. 

2. Kep1er

Kep1er debuted through Mnet's Girls Planet 999 on January 3, 2022 with the titled track 'Wa Da Da' under Swing and Wake One Entertainment. The members are Choi Yu Jin, Shen Xiao Ting, Sakamoto Mashiro, Kim Chae Hyun, Kim Da Yeon, Ezaki Hikaru, Huening Bahiyyih, Seo Young Eun and Kang Ye Seo. 

I am excited for their career and future activities. Although they just debuted I really love and like them. What more can I say. Love them!!

1. I.O.I

I.O.I debuted through Mnet's Produce 101 on May 4, 2016 with the titled track 'Dream Girls' under YMC Entertainment. The members are Lim Na Young, Kim Chung Ha, Kim Se Jeong, Jung Chae Yeon, Zhou Jieqiong, Kim So Hye, Yoo Yeon Jung, Choi Yoo Jung, Kang Mi Na, Kim Do Yeon and Jeon So Mi. They officially disbanded on January 29, 2017. But their last single was release on January 30, 2017.

This is my favorite group of the Produce series. This group is still my number one pick of all the survival shows idol groups. They rank in the top five girl groups on my list. They started the series of survival shows across Asia and in Korea. They created a sensation. For Wanna One, IZ*ONE, X1, Kep1er or any of the Mnet's survival shows not created through an agencies, like Sixteen, would of never happen if this group was not successful at all. I really miss them. I really wish that they would have a reunion and a comeback. That needs to be done just because Wanna One did it and they were the group after I.O.I.  As much as I love the other groups, I still love this group a lot and I cry every time 'Downpour' come on or any time I see them interact on shows or through fan-cams. 

That would be the end of this episode. I hope you enjoy it. I know there is many other groups that were created through survival shows that I didn't put on this list but remember this list contains shows the eliminate a chuck of their trainees on the show. Which idol groups is your favorite group? I'll see you next time in another episode of KPOP OT. 

(Image Credit: Enphyen, X1, Fromis_9, UNB, UNI.T, TWICE, IZ*ONE, Wanna One, Kep1er, and I.O.I.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment